The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has explained why leaders of the African Democratic Congress were denied access to former Kaduna State governor, Nasir el-Rufai.
The commission said the decision was based on an existing court order regulating access to the former governor while in custody.
ADC leaders had earlier accused the anti-graft agency of blocking attempts to see El-Rufai at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja, describing the situation as politically troubling.
The party also raised concerns over alleged restrictions placed on El-Rufai, including claims by family members that he had been denied access to doctors, food and visitors despite voluntarily presenting himself to authorities.
Reacting to the allegations, ICPC spokesperson, Okor Odey, dismissed the claims as false and misleading.
According to Odey, the commission formally communicated its position to the ADC in an official letter dated May 21, 2026, which was acknowledged by the party the following day.
“We wrote them an official letter declining their request to visit. The reasons are in the letter. The category of persons we are to give access to is clear in the court order,” he said.
The ICPC, however, did not disclose details of the specific court order or the categories of individuals permitted access to the former governor.
The development has continued to generate political reactions amid growing public attention on El-Rufai’s detention and his recent political activities within opposition circles ahead of the 2027 general elections.
