A socialite, Cubana Chief Priest, has called on authorities in Nigeria’s commercial capital to intensify enforcement against street and so-called “corporate” begging, warning that the practice has increasingly crossed into public harassment.
In a post shared on social media on Friday, Cubana Priest said it was “long overdue” for law enforcement agencies to arrest and prosecute individuals engaged in begging across the city. He described the trend as a growing nuisance, arguing that it now affects residents regardless of location or time of day.
“This nonsense has turned into outright harassment.”
“No matter how much they earn, almost everybody in Lagos has turned begging into a side hustle. It’s a very disgusting culture that has now grown into harassment in the state.”
According to Lagos Eye News, the concerns reflect a broader sentiment among Lagos residents, many of whom say street begging has escalated in recent months. Residents have urged the government to adopt stricter enforcement measures while also expanding social welfare support for vulnerable populations.
Olusola Oma, a Lagos resident who spoke with Lagos Eye News, said the situation appears to be deteriorating daily.
“It keeps getting worse, and it’s clear that many people come from other states specifically to beg in Lagos,” he said, adding that nearly every major road in the city is now affected, with some individuals treating begging as a full-time occupation.
Olusola recalled a recent encounter along the Lagos–Abeokuta Expressway, where a young man repeatedly asked him for money.
“When I reminded him that my friend had already given him money the previous Sunday, he was shocked,” Olusola said. “When I mentioned calling the police, he immediately left.”
He also called on local government authorities to take a more active role, suggesting the creation of a special enforcement task force to work alongside the Lagos State Ministry of the Environment.
The issue has gained international attention following a recent incident involving American internet personality IShowSpeed during a livestream in Lagos. Reports indicate that he was confronted by suspected road gang members and later escorted to a secure location for his safety.
The confrontation was reportedly linked to repeated demands for money during his visit. According to media reports, IShowSpeed allegedly offered one individual $1,000, which was rejected in favour of a demand for $10,000.
Share this:
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
- Share on X (Opens in new window) X
- Print (Opens in new window) Print
- Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
- Share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
- Share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest
- Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
- Share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads
- Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
- Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email



