Truck Drivers’ Protest Causes Gridlock on Lagos-Ore-Benin Expressway, Police Deny Extortion Claims




Traffic movement along the Lagos-Ore-Benin Expressway was severely disrupted on Wednesday after truck drivers blocked the Oniparaga axis of the highway, causing a massive gridlock that stranded hundreds of commuters and motorists for several hours.

The blockage brought vehicular movement to a standstill on the busy interstate route, with passengers and commercial drivers forced to endure lengthy delays as congestion stretched for several kilometres.

Eyewitnesses said the truck drivers parked their vehicles across sections of the highway, preventing the free flow of traffic and triggering widespread disruption. The protest was reportedly sparked by allegations that some police officers operating along the route had been extorting and harassing truck operators.

Videos and photographs of the incident quickly circulated on social media, drawing public attention and prompting calls for urgent intervention by relevant authorities.

Several affected travellers expressed frustration over the prolonged gridlock, saying they missed important appointments, business engagements and other commitments due to the disruption.

However, the Ondo State Police Command dismissed claims that the road blockade was a protest against police extortion, describing reports linking the incident to alleged misconduct by officers as false and misleading.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, the command said preliminary investigations indicated that the disruption resulted from the actions of a tanker driver following a disagreement with officers carrying out lawful duties.

According to the statement, the driver deliberately obstructed the highway, leading to the traffic congestion witnessed along the corridor.

“The attention of the Ondo State Police Command has been drawn to reports circulating on social media alleging that truck drivers blocked the Lagos-Ore-Benin Expressway in protest against police extortion.

“Preliminary findings indicate that the incident was caused by a tanker driver who deliberately obstructed the highway following a disagreement with officers performing lawful duties,” the statement read.

The police maintained that the incident was not connected to any organised protest against police activities and urged members of the public to disregard what it described as misinformation.

To restore normalcy, the Commissioner of Police in Ondo State, CP Felix Ohagwu, ordered the deployment of additional personnel to the affected area to manage traffic, maintain order and ensure the safety of commuters and other road users.

The command added that officers were immediately mobilised to clear the obstruction and ease the traffic situation while sustaining law and order along the expressway.

Share this content:

About The Author

Avatar

By admin

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Discover more from

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading