Lagos Warns Residents Against Ignoring Evacuation Orders After Alakija Building Collapse |LAGOS EYE NEWS




The Lagos State Government has warned residents against ignoring evacuation notices issued on distressed buildings following the collapse of a three-storey shopping complex in the Alakija area of Oriade Local Council Development Area.

The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Gbenga Omotoso, issued the warning on Friday while briefing journalists at the scene of the incident on behalf of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu.

Omotoso also commiserated with families of those who lost their lives in the tragedy, describing the incident as unfortunate.

“Our first duty is to commiserate with the families who lost their loved ones in this unfortunate incident. On behalf of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, we sympathise with them and pray that such a tragedy never occurs again,” he said.

According to the commissioner, 27 people were rescued alive from the rubble through intensive rescue operations carried out overnight, while nine persons died in the collapse.

“By the grace of God, we have been able to rescue 27 people. Unfortunately, we lost nine persons and this is very sad. We share the pain of the affected families,” Omotoso stated.

He disclosed that the collapsed building had previously been identified as structurally defective and marked for evacuation, with occupants directed to vacate the premises.

“As you can see, these buildings had been marked as distressed and people were asked to leave. Unfortunately, some residents returned after pretending to have moved out, leading to this tragic outcome,” he said.

Omotoso said other distressed buildings within the area would be demolished to avert similar incidents.

“All the buildings that have been identified as defective will go down. We cannot wait until another tragedy occurs before taking action. The protection of lives remains our priority,” he said.

He stressed that residents must place greater value on human life than economic activities, noting that no business is worth risking lives.

“The most important lesson from this incident is that nobody should prioritise livelihood over life. Once life is lost, everything is lost. No business is worth risking human lives for,” he said.

The commissioner also condemned the construction and occupation of buildings beneath high-tension electricity lines, describing the practice as dangerous and a violation of safety regulations.

“It is not done in any civilised society. Such developments show disregard for safety regulations and contempt for the law. Government will continue to clamp down on such violations,” he added.

Omotoso assured residents that a full investigation had commenced into the cause of the collapse, warning that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted.

“The owners of the building are under investigation. Anybody found complicit in this tragedy will face the law. They will be prosecuted because no one is above the law,” he said.

He added that most of the rescued victims sustained non-life-threatening injuries, while those requiring further medical attention had been taken to hospitals for treatment.

The commissioner commended the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the police, the military, neighbourhood safety personnel and other emergency responders for their prompt intervention and tireless efforts during the rescue operation.

Meanwhile, LASEMA had earlier confirmed that 26 people were rescued alive after the building collapsed in the early hours of Wednesday, while eight others, including a baby girl, lost their lives.

Other government officials present at the briefing included the Commissioner for Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Relations, Mr. Gbenga Oyerinde, and the Permanent Secretary of LASEMA, Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu.

Share this content:

About The Author

Avatar

By admin

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Discover more from

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading