Orire Abduction: Makinde Warns Media, Public Against Sensationalising Incident|LAGOS EYE NEWS

Photo File: Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde


Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has urged the media and members of the public to avoid sensationalising the abduction of students and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area, describing the incident as a sensitive matter involving human lives.

Makinde gave the warning on Monday while briefing journalists in Ibadan on the security situation following the attack on a secondary school in Ahoro Esinle Community, Oriire Local Government Area.

The governor said the state government would not surrender to terror, assuring residents that all necessary efforts were being intensified to secure the safe return of the victims.

According to him, seven students have been conclusively identified as victims of the abduction, while security agencies are carrying out coordinated rescue operations to free them and their teachers.

Makinde described the situation as “fluid and difficult,” noting that security operatives were working round the clock to ensure the victims regain their freedom safely.

He stated that although the government remains firm against criminality, it is also willing to listen to the abductors if such engagement would facilitate the immediate release of the kidnapped students and teachers.

The governor disclosed that he had convened a high-level security meeting with service commanders and security advisers following the incident, which has raised concerns over insecurity in parts of the state.

Speaking on whether the abductors had established contact or made demands, Makinde called on residents to support security agencies with timely and credible information.

“If you see something strange, say something, and expect us to do something,” the governor said.

He stressed that the matter should not be turned into sensational headlines or speculation, insisting that the priority remains the safe rescue of the victims.

“This is not something sensational. It involves lives,” Makinde added.

The governor further revealed that the state government had established an operational centre at the police headquarters to coordinate rescue efforts and provide verified information on developments surrounding the incident.

According to him, the Commissioner of Police and other security agencies have been mandated to manage operational strategies and information dissemination due to the sensitive nature of the mission.

Makinde also provided updates on the state’s surveillance aircraft project, clarifying that the aircraft had already arrived in Nigeria and were currently undergoing reassembly at the Nigerian Air Force hangar in Lagos.

He explained that Chinese technicians handling the project recently arrived in the country and are expected to complete installation and testing within two weeks.

The governor said the surveillance aircraft would become operational before the end of June to strengthen border monitoring between Oyo and Kwara states as well as areas bordering the Republic of Benin.

He noted that the procurement of the aircraft predates the current abduction incident and forms part of broader security strategies aimed at tackling emerging threats across the state.

“We didn’t procure the aircraft because of this particular incident, but we wanted to improve our security capability and border monitoring,” Makinde explained.

Reassuring residents of affected communities, the governor pledged the continued commitment of his administration to protecting lives and property and restoring normalcy across the state.

“My charge to the people is that government will continue to be alive to its responsibilities to ensure that we have a safe and secure environment where people can pursue their lawful endeavours,” he said.

About The Author

By admin

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Discover more from

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Verified by MonsterInsights